A year later…
…this bed. In my lovely little dream world my child will have a bed like this one day. I would claim it for myself, but I’m afraid I would be tempted to stay in bed forever! It’s so darling!
…this wonderful man. He is so, so good to me and I don’t deserve him.
…this article. It was a rueful smile because I realized how often I do this in life. What a challenge to embrace the Word wholly and completely. And a challenge to study carefully what I do not understand.
…this website. A charity wedding registry? SUCH a cool idea! I especially think of organizations like Daughters of Cambodia who are redeeming women from the awful world of human trafficking. As you begin a new chapter of life (marriage), wouldn’t it remarkable to help give someone else a new and gloriously different life as well?
…an answer to prayer. A chance to rejoice with a beloved mentor. A reminder that God is in control even though life seems so incredibly enigmatic and painful.
I love books. Correction: I adore books.
Here are 20 books that I am hoping to read in the near future. My half-birthday is coming up in a couple weeks (hint, hint!).
1. Anna Karenina (Leo Tolstoy)
2. The Complete Stories of Flannery O’Connor
3. The Problem of Pain (C.S. Lewis)
4. Eats, Shoots and Leaves: The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation (Lynn Truss)
5. My Lobotomy (Howard Dully)
6. Sacred Marriage (Gary Thomas)
7. Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy (Eric Metaxas and Tim Keller)
8. The Jesus Storybook Bible
9. Anne of Windy Poplars (Lucy Maud Montgomery)
10. Anne of Ingleside (Lucy Maud Montgomery)
11. Rainbow Valley (Lucy Maud Montgomery)
12. Rilla of Ingleside (Lucy Maud Montgomery)
13. Mastering the Art of French Cooking, Vol. 1 (Julia Child, Louisette Bertholle, Simone Beck, Sidonie Coryn )
14. The Joy of Less, A Minimalist Living Guide: How to Declutter, Organize, and Simplify Your Life (Francine Jay)
15. I Will Carry You: The Sacred Dance of Grief and Joy (Angie Smith)
16. One Thousand Gifts: A Dare to Live Fully Right Where You Are (Ann Voskamp)
17. Radical: Taking Back Your Faith from the American Dream (David Platt)
18. unChristian: What a New Generation Really Thinks about Christianity…and Why it Matters
(Dave Kinnaman and Gabe Lyons)
19. Hear, My Son: Teaching and Learning in Proverbs 1-9 (Daniel J. Estes – my professor!!!)
20. Noonday Demon: An Atlas of Depression (Andrew Solomon)
And 5 books I recently read and highly recommend.
1. The Unlikely Disciple: A Sinner’s Semester at America’s Holiest University (Kevin Roose)
2. Where Is God When It Hurts (Philip Yancey)
3. The Center Cannot Hold: My Journey Through Madness (Elyn Saks)
4. The Giving Tree (Shel Silverstein)
5. I Capture The Castle (Dodie Smith)